As we come to the end of the internship I reflected on previous courses taken in the program, particularly organizational behavior. It’s interesting looking at different roles that a group of people take on. How one participates or does not participate. It’s important not to make people feel uncomfortable but be very inclusive and ensure that everyone’s input is heard and that people feel comfortable with the goals that have been met and also brainstorm as to how we can improve.
I found myself looking back realizing the importance of working in groups and making sure that if people did not agree with something we understood why. Naturally, after spending so much time together I really felt the people doing the internship with me were part of my new family. We spent time together outside of work and building that trust was a way for me to help me help them realize their potential. We had quiet members of the group I was among them in the beginning but challenging myself to speak up was one of the best ways I felt I could grow. I realize not everyone is the same but if we can all challenge in ourselves to grow in someone ways it can be very helpful to the person and to the overall organization.
I think it's wonderful that you are very observant. That can prove as a useful skill! It seems as though you understand the importance of working together which could definitely help you become a leader in the future
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with your observations about the importance of Org Behavior knowledge in the workplace. I don't know who you had for the class... but Professor Janet Denhardt showed our class the black and white classic film, 12 Angry Men, with Peter Fonda. It was fascinating to see how many people fit the various roles that are described in the Org Behavior literature, displayed in the film, and how timeless, and universal, those roles seem to be. Frankly, they should make Org Behavior a mandatory element in all undergraduate degrees. Thank you for your passionate, and principled, service to our community, and I look forward to seeing you in the local "election world" in the future. :-)
ReplyDelete