I can give speeches... I think. I enjoy public speaking and consider myself to be a social person. However, when I am in a group in charge of leading discussions or brain storm sessions, I freeze. I can't just think on the spot and I almost feel like it is a sort of phobia. I will never speak up in class, never ask questions because of some type of insecurity that I have.
During the internship I was encouraged to start taking more of a leadership role in our daily meetings. I immiedately, turned down the opportunity but was tirelessly encouraged by my supervisor to take that risk and face my fear. While I still refuse to speak up in class I found that with time, preparation and some guidance I was able to lead discussions. The discussions we had were not your typical "dinner talk how was your day? or what are you doing tonight?" it was figuring out how to win and did youdo your best if not, why?
They were intense but sometimes I feel that because I was challenged I was able to positively challenge others and it became an incredible growing experience for us all.
I was in your position once and I found the best way (just like you did) was just to jump in and do it. I think we'd all be surprised at what we're good at if we would only try things.
ReplyDeleteI have the same phobia. I can hardly ever speak on the spot when I need to. People call all the time, yelling at me, and I'm trying to think of something to say and I also freeze up. I think experience dealing with different types of people is the best way to overcome this.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments! You know Tim, when answering those calls (I get the same ones all the time) I say ''TING'' before I pick up so that it sounds like I'm smiling when I answer you know? It works for me and people aren't as upset at the end of their conversation... cheesy I know but it works! You're learning so much in that office!
ReplyDeleteI like the advise of just going in and doing it, but it is important to develop a strategy you are comfortable with and then just pushing yourself to execute. I too find this difficult. I have found that it works for me to start with a question and let the group develop the answer. Steer them, and remember they know what it is like to be in the front of the room. Best of luck.
ReplyDelete