Voter engagement and civic participation is one of the only ways to improve our local communities and obviously the rest of the country. Having representation at a level where policy directly affects a community in their own backyard was something I explained regularly when talking to voters. It was as though hearing it from someone in the working class, just like they were seemed to have had a greater impact and ultimately increased the chances of them voting (after several courtesy calls and reminders). I think my story definitely resonated with folks. I shared my experiences as a student, an older sister and a daughter of immigrant parents who worked hard and continue to do so for the ''American Dream'' but for lack of a better word got screwed over by big banks. Communities and dialogue are slowly changing this for the better followed by action, of course.
Beyond voting, people should be able to have a say/influence in local policy and it should be written so that people understand it.
Communities and people inspire me!
No comments:
Post a Comment