Thursday, March 15, 2012

The root of our campaign to increase voter participation was heavily volunteer based. There comes a certain point however that the longevity of an organization or campaign must rely heavily on funding and monetary resources. I found it hard to sometimes motivate others and convey my passion to other as much as possible. Unfortunately, on some bad days people did not find that enthusiasm helpful. It's understandable that people need to put food on the table and pay their rent and I myself have been in those positions of sacrificing my needs for a cause. I almost felt a sense of guilt when realizing that there were so many others not even close to the position where I was in that I could have a decent place to live with food in the fridge.

The income gap in this country, in this state is widening and while voting does not directly put food on the table, it's a start. The difficulty is finding ways to empower people to see that and instill in them a sense of hope. I'm just rambling; I hope this makes some sense.

4 comments:

  1. I find that working for a cause that people can rally behind does make working for less pay easier, but not easy. But motivation is easier when there is an intrinsic level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post makes perfect sense, getting involved is a start to fixing problems. Increasing voter participation is an extremely important aspect in society today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is very, very important for people to understand how important their voices are. When I was doing my undergrad I volunteered to register people to vote and I understand all that goes into trying to impact voter participation. It can be very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very challenging to convince others about new ideas,new changes even if it s for their own interests. But,it will eventually get better. Keep getting the word out!

    ReplyDelete